Friday, May 23, 2008

Getting Older

After much anticipation, Sean and I went to go see the new Harrison Ford movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, today. It is a wonderful movie for the whole family!!!! I grew up watching the Indiana Jones' movies which this movie makes several references back to, which most of the "kids" just didn't get. I will have to say they did a beautiful job making it look just like the other films, bad CGs and all :) which they actually intended to do. It was NOT like the action movies of today, which I found very refreshing. It was the first movie I have seen in a long time that didn't use a single curse word. It wasn't a "G" or even a "PG" movie, but a "PG-13" movie. This movie seems to be one of the first movies that did not change for the younger generations, but is relying on "us" the older generations to make it a hit. However, the younger generation didn't seem to appreciate it as much as those of us who remember the first three Indiana Jones movies, last released almost 20+ years ago in the theaters. All I can say is, "WOW!"

I remember my mother telling me once that she remembered the first time she felt old. It was when the Hollywood Stars that were she grew up with looked "old" on TV and the big screen. Tonight, as I watched Harrison Ford on the big screen, I realized that we're getting older, a lot older, and I knew exactly what she meant.

As we were driving home from the movie, I realized I have grown up and I'm not a "kid" anymore. For the first time I was actually happy about it. I had a feeling of accomplishment. Turning and being 30 was hard for many months, but now it is not so bad. I have been married to a wonderful man for 7 years now and have two wonderful young men!



Next March, I will have a teenager. Wow, how time flies! When Hunter turns 18, I will be 36 and that's not bad. In about 5 years, Christian will be 13 and I'll be 35, I will then have 2 teenage boys, and that's not to shabby. I will be the "Cool Young Mom!" I guess getting older does have it's advantages. Several of my friends are in their early to mid 20's, and I feel reassured in what I have learned since I was their age. As they say, "Wisdom does come with age."

0 comments: