Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Room

On Monday, I will be an official teacher and also finishing up part 1 of my Alternative Teaching Certification Program (ATCP). WOW! I got my keys to the building and my classroom on Wednesday. I was able to get the room set up and cleaned a little. The teacher I replaced was not nice about how she left the room. She was let go.

The room is in the corner of the school with a hallway in front and on the side. When I walked in, the smell hit me! It is hard to describe, but it stinks! It might have to do with the fact that the building is 80 years old. The plus is it has carpet, I don't know if I would take my shoes off and walk around, but better than hearing my heals click as I walk. There are two boards, but I will only be able to use 1/2 of one until I figure out how to get the permanent 08 off of one and the ink off the other. It was much better after I moved everything around, and turned on the AC (the smell wasn't as bad). After getting everything just so, I stood at the front of the room and just stood there in amazement! This was MY room, and in a few days it will be filled with students.

I guess I am still in shock over the whole idea of me being a teacher. The kids ran the last teacher off, so I keep telling myself show no fear. I do feel better because I have an idea of what I need to cover. I think it is mostly because I feel unprepared.

I have homework to finish this weekend for my ATCP and a week worth of lesson plans that I have no idea how to write (the part of the ATCP that I still need to take). I guess I will manage and at least have a few mentors I can call.

I remember as a young child making my siblings play school, well really just Math class, and wanting to grow up and be a math teacher. Who says dreams don't come true? On that note, God is doing wonderful things in my marriage that I have been waiting 9 years for him to bring to pass. Life is great!

I will post pictures later of my room (before and after Sean helps me paint it this summer). I just wish I would have taken pictures before I got a hold of it.

0 comments: